Gabor Stark is an architect, educator and artist living and working in Berlin, Germany and Canterbury, UK. Gabor studied architecture at the Technische Universität Berlin and at the Mackintosh School of Architecture, Glasgow School of Art. On graduation from the TU Berlin he worked on architecture and urban design projects as a free-lance architect in Berlin before co-founding his own practice tx – büro für temporäre architektur in 2000.
Prior to joining the University for Creative Arts in Kent, UK as a Senior Lecturer in 2007, Gabor taught architecture and urban design as a guest lecturer and assistant professor at the Kunsthochschule Berlin-Weissensee and the TU Berlin. He currently teaches on the Master of Architecture (ARB/RIBA Part 2) programme and leads the MA Urban Design course at UCA Canterbury School of Architecture.
Gabor’s research and practice focus on temporal and programmatic aspects of urban transformation processes. He successfully participated in national and international design competitions and has conducted research projects commissioned by the Senate of Urban Development in Berlin, the German Federal Ministry of Traffic, Building and Urban Development and the German Federal Office for Building and Regional Planning. Gabor’s practice, research and teaching agenda comprises temporary uses, cultural landscapes, participatory planning and programmatic urbanism.
Parallel to his practice and teaching Gabor explores the liminal space between architecture and art. In 2013 he won the first prize in the international design competition ‘Worlds of El Lissitzky’ with his portable monument to the Russian architect and artist El Lissitzky and the German art historian Sophie Lissitzky-Küppers. In 2016 he completed a WW1 commemorative sculpture project at East Kent Railway in Dover, Kent. In the same year he won the commission for a public art project in Cyprus as part of the Pafos 2017 European Capital of Culture programme.
Gabor has published, exhibited and lectured about his work in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Greece, Cyprus and the UK.
- Gabor Stark : Mais Il Faut Cultiver Notre Jardin
- Art in the Park – Kearsney Interpreted Artists Films
- Park Bench Video Preview
- Meanderings: Art & Music in the Park
- Gabor Stark’s MEANDERINGS in Kearsney Abbey
- The Park Bench Project gets under way
- The Park Bench Project
- Gabor Stark’s Space Standards Art & Architecture Walk along the CHALKUP21 trail
- Visit to East Kent Railway
- 10 artists 10 works for the DAD 10th Anniversary Newspaper
- Walking the track
- Let’s get together
- A brilliant night
- DAD launches Colouring Book
- Visiting East Kent Railway
- Joined-up artists getting into the swing of things
- Gabor Stark’s sculpture project for East Kent Railway