JOANNA JONES lives and works in Dover where she co-founded Dover Arts Development with Clare Smith in 2006.
Joanna Jones’s practice over several decades has straddled painting and performance. Interested in the inter-connectedness of things, thoughts and encounters she has developed a performative process that positions her body as an agency of a particular kind of knowing, taking her painting practice into the territory of an event – a constellation of elements that make something happen: the consistency of the paint, my choice of colour, what concerns my mind, what vibrates through my body, what rings in my ears.
It is said that we are not defined by the margins of our body but by the vastness of our soul.
Following a foundation year at Northwich College of Art, Jones continued her studies in London at the Byam Shaw School. Jones received her NDD in painting from Goldsmith’s College, and in 1969 won first prize in the Greater London Councils painting competition before graduating from the Royal Academy Schools in 1970. She was co-founder of the London studio collective, The Works. In 1978 she moved to Germany, where she established her practice exhibiting her paintings nationally and internationally, returning to the UK in 1997.
Collaboration with other artists is an important part of her practice, she has at residency space in her home for visiting artists and the DAD urban room that hosts events and conversations that have Dover at their heart.
She is represented by Galerie Gilla Loecher in Berlin.
- Art in the Park – Kearsney Interpreted Artists Films
- the explorers Walk3 : An Artists Walk with Simon Bill
- Park Bench Video Preview
- the explorers walk2 : an historians walk with Andy Rayner
- THE EXPLORERS WALK1 : An architects walk with Philip Hutton
- Recording the Soundlines poets reading their Park Bench poems
- Structures on the Edge : Poetry, drawings, small fortunes and more structures
- Artists and designers start thinking about the DBL innovation warehouse
- The Park Bench Project
- DAD presents at Authenticity Symposium
- Sycamores Class receive Explore Arts Award certificates
- Pebbles Screening event at Dover’s Silver Screen Cinema
- DAD visits Temple Ewell CEP
- A misty research walk
- The story behind CHALKUP21: An interview with Joanna Jones and Clare Smith
- Big Draw 2017: Kearsney Abbey Gardens
- All inked up
- A Parable for Endeavour
- Banksy brings international interest to Dover
- First research walk of the The CHALKUP21 Trail from Capel to Dover
- Food and Doodling mixed well at the Dover Big Draw
- DAD @ SALT
- Weather watercolour workshop
- a tangible reminder, a souvenir, of the collaborative work ‘Weathertime’.
- A brilliant night
- Inspiration=Dover the event
- Kent Creative Awards: Arts Organisation of the Year
- Weathertime Premiere
- A Table of Elements
- Sensing & Seeing
- Walk @ Full Moon July 31st
- Land and Sea exhibition
- Mid project gathering
- DAD at WOW Folkestone
- Empowering the Individual through the Collective
- Artists’ networking evening
- Buckland Mill Revisted
- Fan Bay Shelter and the 1917 and 1920’s Sound mirrors
- “Walking in my sisters’ footsteps”: DAD Send off
- DAD SEND OFF
- DAD presents at Tage der Utopie in Breklum, Germany
- War & Peace: the film
- War and Peace – An Overview and Appreciation
- Salon Evening at the National Trust White Cliffs Visitor Centre
- Transit: Pulp & Rags: The Grand Finale
- RE-VEIL-LE: new work by Joanna Jones
- Transit: Pulp & Rags: an evening of contemporary classical music, poetry and film at Dover Town Hall
- WAR & PEACE SYMPOSIUM: 13 October 2012
- Transmettre-Transmit opening 12 April 2008
- Transmettre-Transmit in Dover District