“A photographer’s art is his choice. The choice of the theme and subject matter; the style of photography; and the location: the object, the exact standpoint, the direction; the angle, and the right constellation and the magical moment that depends on which light conditions present themselves.
In my work, I appreciate and concentrate on the view from above of historically important sites. For this purpose I use high resolution cameras on the ladder of my fire engine and on my flying drone.”
Matthias Koch studied Architecture and Fine Arts with Professor Heinrich Riebesehl at the Fachhochschule of Hannover and Art with Photography at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf, Germany where he was in the master class of Professor Bernd Becher graduating with Honours. From 1998 – 2000 he was lecturer in the faculty of Fine Arts in Hannover and from 2006 – 2008 at the University Niederrhein in Krefeld, Germany.
Matthias Koch belongs to the group of Becher masterstudents who have became known in the contemporary art world as the Becher School with amongst others : Andreas Gursky, Thomas Ruff, Thomas Struth, Candida Hoefer, Axel Huette and Matthias Koch.
Matthias Koch was the assistant of Bernd and Hilla Becher from 1991 – 1999.
Matthias Koch focuses on ‘Places of History’. He is interested in the overlapping of layers of time. His images show architectural-landscape overviews of how places, where history has happened, now look.
For this he uses two different methods to take his detailed panoramic photographs of key historical sites: an adapted fire engine with a camera attached to the end of the ladder and a photo-drone.
He describes the results: “the slight aerial view provides a different view of details and a more interestingly detached perspective than a ground level photograph … At the same time, the perspective isn’t so high that these would take on the appearance of surveillance”.
To view this video with English subtitles click settings, then subtitles and then choose language.
- Matthias Koch’s Photography Masterclass at the Wing
- Matthias Koch presents his Dover Photographs at the ‘Wing’
- A brilliant night
- Inspiration=Dover the event
- Matthias Koch – getting ready for the INSPIRATION=DOVER Exhibition on MAY 20th
- Chalk Up’s first meeting
- Matthias Koch back in Dover
- News from Matthias Koch
- War & Peace: the film
- Matthias Koch: War & Peace Dover commission
- Great turnout for Matthias Koch’s photos of Dover
- New body of work by Matthias Koch in Deal and Dover
- DAD PRESENTS TOP PHOTOGRAPHERS AT LONDON ART FAIR
- A 1975 Mercedes fire engine is in town
- WAR & PEACE SYMPOSIUM: 13 October 2012