Congratulations on a really remarkable ten years of Dover Arts Development. Wonderful celebration. Thank you.
The joined up Project is an exciting First World War commemorative project across the Dover District. 12 organisations and 14 artists participated in this two-year project which ended in May 2016.
The Joined Up project now has a Legacy website http://artistsww1.uk
The project had many aspects and in many respects was unique in the way it brought together museums, heritage and the arts; joining up contemporary artists with WWI history.
How was it done?
- An artist was allocated to each organisation where they researched connections to World War I inspired by the WWI artefacts they found at each venue.
- Informed by their research the artist created an artwork that can be used with visitors by volunteers to help interpret the collections in a new and interesting way. Read about how the artists are getting on by clicking on the relevant venue name.
- Drawing and stitching (bunting- making) workshops in each venue inspired by the World War I artefacts in the venues and led by skilled artists. The workshops were free and open to museum volunteers and other members of the public. An online booking system was put in place for each workshop.
- The bunting inspired by the venue and produced during the project will be used at special events and also as part of the collective, district-wide, events to commemorate the end of WWI in 2018.
You can visit the museums and Heritage sites and see how art can transform the interpretation and presentation of our shared local heritage!
To find out more about each project partner and to follow the Artists’ projects please click on the name of the Museum or Heritage site.
Like Cinderella when the clock strikes the musicians, the museum objects, the art works and all of us will be gone. But we share this experience and hold it together [...]
Anne Edwards has been supporting the Joined Up project since its beginnings and, as the project comes to a close, has sent us some of her observations. Anne was a key [...]
A photographers art is his choice. The choice of the theme and subject matter; the style of photography; and on location: the object, the exact standpoint, the direction; the angle, [...]
- Award is fantastic way to celebrate 10 years
- Team Effort: Development group projects showcasing town talent win praise
- All the hard work pays off with a great turnout for the fair
- Weekend at Fort to focus on the Battle of Waterloo
- Action-packed open weekend to attract crowds to Heights
- Weekend will be a fabulous feast for the body and soul
- Mill turns back time with crafts, food and memories
- Museums are given a £90,000 cash boost
- Artists set to help on museum project